Data Dreams

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Nathalie Leclerc sent these to me!

Here are some of the great things to be done with free and accessible
data! Sooooo niiiiiice!

> Baltimore Neighborhood Indicators Alliance
> http://www.bnia.org/mapping/index.html
>
> Mon prefere: Philadelphia Neighborhood Information System
> http://cml.upenn.edu/nbase/
>
> Neighborhood Information System muralBase
> http://cml.upenn.edu/murals/
>
> CrimeBase Maps
> http://cml.upenn.edu/crimebase/
>
> Les initiatives de UPenn pourraient etre integrees.

Merci Nat!
Tracey

Re: Data Dreams

Ted Hildebrandt
Here are a few more data dreams... Sigh

DataPlace
http://www.dataplace.org/

Greater New Orleans Community Data Center
http://www.gnocdc.org/index.html

Kansas Geospatial Community Commons
http://www.kansasgis.org/

Boston Metropolitan Planning Council - Data and GIS
http://www.mapc.org/data_gis.html

Syracuse Community Geography
http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/geo/community_geography/index.html

Ted Hildebrandt

Here are some of the great things to be done with free and accessible
data! Sooooo niiiiiice!

> Baltimore Neighborhood Indicators Alliance
> http://www.bnia.org/mapping/index.html
>
> Mon prefere: Philadelphia Neighborhood Information System
> http://cml.upenn.edu/nbase/
>
> Neighborhood Information System muralBase http://cml.upenn.edu/murals/
>
> CrimeBase Maps
> http://cml.upenn.edu/crimebase/
>
> Les initiatives de UPenn pourraient etre integrees.

Merci Nat!
Tracey

Wiki and announcement status

Stephane Guidoin
We spent the last weeks to enhance the content of the wiki and the official
announcement.

There are still some small things to be done but most of the work for the launch
is OK.

I specifically bring to your attention, the following pages :
- The landing page : http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/Launch/LandingPage (the content
of this page will be moved to http://civicaccess.ca/ after your review)
- The home page of the wiki (http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/FrontPage in english,
http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/PageD%27Accueil in french).
- The official launch "letter" :
http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/Launch/PublicAnnouncement

We also improved the graphical interface and the user experience. Please set the
"prefered theme" to "rightsidebar" in your preferences
(http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/UserPreferences when logged in) if it's not already
the case. Then, you'll see some new navigation links in the top right panel.
This should help to find your way in the wiki. We'll try to improve while we
learn how to change the default template.

Comments are welcome :)

Note : Accessibility of the landing page has been changed but I'll work on that
after the week end. Concerning the wiki, it will be hard to make big
accessibility improvment on the short term.

Stéphane

Re: Wiki and announcement status

Hugh McGuire
one small suggestion (in the name of simple language):
change: "community of practice"
to: "group" or a "network" or "a loose network"

I'm not sure what a community of practice is, but it sounds scary, and
makes me think, "oh, I don't belong here."

I don't know about the corresponding French term.

my 2 cents.

hugh.

Stephane Guidoin wrote:

> We spent the last weeks to enhance the content of the wiki and the official
> announcement.
>
> There are still some small things to be done but most of the work for the launch
> is OK.
>
> I specifically bring to your attention, the following pages :
> - The landing page : http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/Launch/LandingPage (the content
> of this page will be moved to http://civicaccess.ca/ after your review)
> - The home page of the wiki (http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/FrontPage in english,
> http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/PageD%27Accueil in french).
> - The official launch "letter" :
> http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/Launch/PublicAnnouncement
>
> We also improved the graphical interface and the user experience. Please set the
> "prefered theme" to "rightsidebar" in your preferences
> (http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/UserPreferences when logged in) if it's not already
> the case. Then, you'll see some new navigation links in the top right panel.
> This should help to find your way in the wiki. We'll try to improve while we
> learn how to change the default template.
>
> Comments are welcome :)
>
> Note : Accessibility of the landing page has been changed but I'll work on that
> after the week end. Concerning the wiki, it will be hard to make big
> accessibility improvment on the short term.
>
> Stéphane

Re: Wiki and announcement status

Michael Lenczner
i agree - "network of people" or "network of citizens" would be
better.  good eye, hugh.

On 4/13/06, Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> one small suggestion (in the name of simple language):
> change: "community of practice"
> to: "group" or a "network" or "a loose network"
>
> I'm not sure what a community of practice is, but it sounds scary, and
> makes me think, "oh, I don't belong here."
>
> I don't know about the corresponding French term.
>
> my 2 cents.
>
> hugh.
>

> Stephane Guidoin wrote:
> > We spent the last weeks to enhance the content of the wiki and the official
> > announcement.
> >
> > There are still some small things to be done but most of the work for the launch
> > is OK.
> >
> > I specifically bring to your attention, the following pages :
> > - The landing page : http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/Launch/LandingPage (the content
> > of this page will be moved to http://civicaccess.ca/ after your review)
> > - The home page of the wiki (http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/FrontPage in english,
> > http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/PageD%27Accueil in french).
> > - The official launch "letter" :
> > http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/Launch/PublicAnnouncement
> >
> > We also improved the graphical interface and the user experience. Please set the
> > "prefered theme" to "rightsidebar" in your preferences
> > (http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/UserPreferences when logged in) if it's not already
> > the case. Then, you'll see some new navigation links in the top right panel.
> > This should help to find your way in the wiki. We'll try to improve while we
> > learn how to change the default template.
> >
> > Comments are welcome :)
> >
> > Note : Accessibility of the landing page has been changed but I'll work on that
> > after the week end. Concerning the wiki, it will be hard to make big
> > accessibility improvment on the short term.
> >
> > Stéphane

Re: Wiki and announcement status

Stephane Guidoin
Well, community of practice is a specific concept. And it fits with the concept
of CivicAccess. But it's true it sounds too inclusive (and unusual).

But "network of people" is not the same (in the sentences where we use
"community of practice"). Maybe network of knowledge or something like this
(community of practice is more about learning, process, etc than people).

I'm away till monday/tuesday and I wish to all of you a good easter :)

Stef

Selon Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]>:

> i agree - "network of people" or "network of citizens" would be
> better.  good eye, hugh.

Re: Wiki and announcement status

Hugh McGuire
what about "network of people and groups that believe..." ?

I understand what "community of practice" is getting at, but for
instance, in many cases someone's (professional) practice might have
little to do with civicaccess - but they should feel welcome to join and
contribute (i think).

hugh.

Stephane Guidoin wrote:

> Well, community of practice is a specific concept. And it fits with the concept
> of CivicAccess. But it's true it sounds too inclusive (and unusual).
>
> But "network of people" is not the same (in the sentences where we use
> "community of practice"). Maybe network of knowledge or something like this
> (community of practice is more about learning, process, etc than people).
>
> I'm away till monday/tuesday and I wish to all of you a good easter :)
>
> Stef
>
> Selon Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]>:
>

>>i agree - "network of people" or "network of citizens" would be
>>better.  good eye, hugh.

Re: Wiki and announcement status

Robin Millette
On 4/14/06, Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I understand what "community of practice" is getting at, but for
> instance, in many cases someone's (professional) practice might have
> little to do with civicaccess - but they should feel welcome to join and
> contribute (i think).

Communauté de pratique is actually a professional pratice, from what I
gather. Here are a bunch of posts on the topic, in french :
http://www.biotope.ca/blog/?p=285

--
Robin 'oqp' Millette : http://rym.waglo.com/
Président de FACIL : http://facil.qc.ca/