Correctional Services Harm Reduction alert API

Correctional Services Harm Reduction alert API

Tracey P. Lauriault
I just sent the following to the OPEN Data Portal Feedback Section (http://open.canada.ca/en). Scroll down below.  Any one have any thoughts or has anyone seen anything like this?

Correctional Services Harm Reduction alert API

In light of this week's murder of three women in the region (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/shooter-wilno-ontario-1.3238501), one of which was a federal employee, I would like to recommend the creation of a Correctional Service API designed to trigger alerts, warnings and calls to individuals identified and known to be at risk of harm by prisoners that are being released from prison, on leave, on probation, who did not sign the terms of a probation list, etc.  This has the potential of being a tool to mitigate harm and death.  This could also alert local shelters, half way houses and local police forces of the release of this person in order for all concerned to help the person released from prison and to keep a compassionate eye and some oversight in order to deter them from causing harm.

I would like a follow up call and response to this request.

--
Tracey P. Lauriault
Assistant Professor

Re: Correctional Services Harm Reduction alert API

Glen Newton
I believe this offender was held provincially, so for full coverage the provinces would also need something similar.

Ontario has something called the Victim Notification System http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/about/vw/vns.asp which is a telephone system that allows one to register for automated voice calls on prisoner releases, escapes, parole hearing dates, etc.

It seems like this system just needs to be updated to the Open Data age, and expose this alerting through an API that could drive an alerting app for victims and other impacted persons.

Does anyone know if old-style voice call alerts exist elsewhere in Canada and if any Victim Notification System API exists in any jurisdiction anywhere? If the API and json schema already exist, it would be good to adopt/adapt it. Having all 13 jurisdictions in Canada come up with their own API and schema would be unfortunate.
If there is a standard for this then good; if not then I would be willing to work on one. Suggestions?

Full disclosure: I knew the third victim from when I worked at Agriculture Canada.

Glen

On Friday, September 25, 2015, Tracey P. Lauriault <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The kind of service that is needed here exists in the US through VINElink
https://www.vinelink.com/
"VINELink, an online portal to VINE, America’s number one victim
notification network. "
They have a victim notification app for this:
  http://www.appriss.com/vinevideo.html

I think all or most US states are part of this:
- http://adc.arkansas.gov/visitors/Pages/VINE.aspx
- http://corrections.ky.gov/victimservices/Pages/VINE.aspx
- https://indianasavin.in.gov/Default.aspx
- http://www.lcle.state.la.us/programs/lavns.asp
- http://www.doc.state.vt.us/victim-services/the-van-service-vermont-automated-notification-service
- http://wate.com/2015/08/11/all-95-tennessee-counties-now-in-victim-notification-system/

Other references from my quick search:

US Dept of Justice Victm Notification System
https://www.notify.usdoj.gov/index.jsp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_Notification_System

British Columbia
Victim Notification
http://www.justicebc.ca/en/cjis/you/victim/crime/victim_notification.html
Non electronic system, as far as I can tell.

Related:
- Domestic Violence Proximity Notification System
https://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ElectronicMonitoring/Home/ProductsServices/OurProducts/GPSTracking/DomesticViolenceProximityNotificationSystem/
- Crime Victim Notification System gets texting option
http://www.thelcn.com/news/crime-victim-notification-system-gets-texting-option/article_118da94e-9241-11e4-bba4-83e04913f855.html
- IJIS Implements Standards-based Victim Notification Services
http://www.ijis.org/news/221836/IJIS-Implements-Standards-based-Victim-Notification-Services.htm

Glen