[CivicAccess-Discuss] Open data and civic tech events across Canada this Saturday

[CivicAccess-Discuss] Open data and civic tech events across Canada this Saturday

CivicAccess mailing list
This Saturday, communities across Canada are organizing events about using open data and civic tech for positive impact. Get involved!

We've created a little site to promote the events: http://codeacross.ca

(If you're running an open data or civic tech event this weekend and you'd like to be added to the list, let me know so we can add it!)

Gabe

Re: Open data and civic tech events across Canada this Saturday

CivicAccess mailing list
Excellent Gabe. I know Edmonton will be running an open data day event (for the 4th year in a row). Perhaps they could be added to the list.

And I would like to throw out an idea. It has been about 10 years since the open data movement effectively started -- using the open data workshop in Sebastopol (California)

[ https://public.resource.org/8_principles.html

as an unofficial start date. I think most people will go along with this.

OD4D (Open Data for Development) [ http://od4d.net/ ] is spearheading the next incarnation of The State of Open Data providing a global perspective on the state of open data.

For the last few weeks I have thought it would be good to have something like “The State of Open Data in Canada: The First Decade”. Get some first hand observations of those involved, highlight successes, and also be frank about the failures, short-comings, gaps.

Maybe we can use Open Data Day 2018 as kickoff date for this effort. And if folks are trying to find things to do for ODD then having a grassroots engagement/discussion table might work well.

Any thoughts on this?

... gerry tychon