Census Canada 2006

Jason Loughead-2
I went to the site using firefox and konqueror and lo and behold I got the
same message. Then I called up and asked about the system requirements.
I has to be remembered that the help desk people are not highly technical so
making real life analogies is the best way to have them understand the
issues. The first guy I spoke with was very cordial and I told him that the
site checking which operating system I was using was irrelevant if I met all
the technical requirements (SSL v.2 128 bit encryption, java, javascript, and
cookies). I then told the gentleman "What if our public roads had a
requirement that only allowed Ford vehicles to travel on them?" This is about
open standards, and often commercial interests in our system have a vested
interest in locking every product but their own out. He asked me to hold
while connected me with the sysadmin department.

After a few minutes Julie came on the line (before I started any spiel) and
said "Oh, you're one of those! You're trying to protect freedom for users. My
boyfriend is running linux at home." Needless to say I had a very responsive
audience and took full advantage of it. ;) She told me I could fill out the
form with her on the phone, and I told her I could masquerade the browser
identification to lie about my OS. She said that would be like hacking though.
I said "No it would be like me calling you right now and if the government
had a policy of only talking to white people, saying that I was not black to
get service." She thanked me over and over for telling her about this and got
my phone number, email, website (I volunteered http://plug.ca ), and that
someone would get back to me.

I would encourage everyone to call and politely demand the website not check
the Operating System if all other checks are passed. :P

Jason

Software shouldn't be your struggle
--
Software shouldn't be your struggle