Canadian Open Data "Unsummit"

Gerry Tychon-2
Hello to all ...

As many know, the Canadian Open Data Summit is being held in Edmonton this June. I am sure it will be good but I have been thinking it is a very traditional approach to open data which should be, well, more open and accessible. :)

As such I would like to give a heads up that I and a few others are trying to organize an Unsummit (like unconference) on the Saturday prior to the actual Summit. It will borrow concepts from Open Space (Technology) and as such there are no attendees but rather participants, no preset agenda, no keynote speaker flitting and out, and hopefully no few doing the speaking to many.

I hope we can get this (the first ever Canadian Open Data Unsummit) off the ground soon and hope some readers of this message will be able to participate. I will update the group as soon as I can.

... gerry

Re: Canadian Open Data "Unsummit"

Mark Smith
I know there is a Data Power Conference in Ottawa June 22/23, and the Open Data Conference in Edmonton June 13/14 (not to mention CAHSPR in Toronto May 24-26, but that’s another story). If you can only attend one, which one would you choose, and why?

Thanks

Mark

> On Apr 27, 2017, at 4:16 PM, Gerry Tychon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello to all ...
>
> As many know, the Canadian Open Data Summit is being held in Edmonton this June. I am sure it will be good but I have been thinking it is a very traditional approach to open data which should be, well, more open and accessible. :)
>
> As such I would like to give a heads up that I and a few others are trying to organize an Unsummit (like unconference) on the Saturday prior to the actual Summit. It will borrow concepts from Open Space (Technology) and as such there are no attendees but rather participants, no preset agenda, no keynote speaker flitting and out, and hopefully no few doing the speaking to many.
>
> I hope we can get this (the first ever Canadian Open Data Unsummit) off the ground soon and hope some readers of this message will be able to participate. I will update the group as soon as I can.
>
> ... gerry

Re: Canadian Open Data "Unsummit"

Herb Lainchbury
Hi Gerry,

I would be interested in attending the un-conference if it were to happen.  I think that's a great idea.  I am also planning to attend CODS17 (http://opendatasummit.ca/).

Herb

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Gerry Tychon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Herb Lainchbury, Dynamic Solutions
250.704.6154

Re: Canadian Open Data "Unsummit"

Tyler Sutton
Don't forget the Go Open Data Conference (GOOD) taking place May 5-6th in London Ontario

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 11:50 PM, Herb Lainchbury <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Editor-in-Chief
Public Sector Digest
Phone: 519.690.2565 x2210
Mobile: 226.688.6386

Re: Canadian Open Data "Unsummit"

Glen Newton
Ironic, having this meeting in London, given London does not have an actual Open Data license for its data.
http://www.london.ca/city-hall/open-data/Pages/OpenData-TermsofUse.aspx

Indemnification stops this license from being an Open Data License:
"​If, as a result of your breach of these Terms of Use, the City gets sued or is required to pay someone money, you agree to protect the City and reimburse the City for everything which you cause the City to suffer. This means that you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the City and all of its agents from any and all liabilities incurred in connection with any claim arising from any breach by you of these Terms of Use, including reasonable legal fees and costs. You agree to cooperate fully in the defence of any such claim. The City reserves the right to assume, at its own expense, the exclusive defence and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you. You agree not to settle any matter without the written consent of the City."

Glen

On 28 April 2017 at 08:25, Tyler Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Phone: <a href="tel:(519)%20690-2565" value="+15196902565" target="_blank">519.690.2565 x2210
Mobile: <a href="tel:(226)%20688-6386" value="+12266886386" target="_blank">226.688.6386