CBC API?

Glen Newton
Does anyone know if the CBC offers an API to its content, like the NPR http://www.npr.org/api/index or BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/developer/technology/apis.html or PBS http://docs.pbs.org/confluence/display/PUBDOC/Home/?

I found their RSS feeds (ugh) and a reference to someone asking that the CBC have APIs from 2009 http://www.theteamakers.com/2009/08/07/cbc-api/
but nothing else.

If indeed the CBC does not have an API to its content (or even API to content metadata), etc, does anyone else see this as a bit of an issue?

Glen

Re: CBC API?

Stéphane Guidoin
Hi Glen,

What I know is more than one year old but when I discussed with them about using their content catalog for a hackathon, the proposed solution was an extract from their DB. So I guess no API...

Stéphane

Re: CBC API?

Tina Faiz
Hi Glen,

It's an interesting question! Curious, what would you want to do with it?

I am a former CBC digital producer, and know if the request was put in at the right level, it could be made a priority. That said, I have no doubt they face a capacity issue - not enough people to do all that is on the wish list,

Best,
Tina

Re: CBC API?

Steven Clift
Some useful inspiration:
https://developer.bbc.co.uk/content/bbc-platform-api
http://www.npr.org/api/index
https://projects.pbs.org/confluence/display/coveapi/COVE+API+Developer+Documentation
http://open-platform.theguardian.com/
https://developers.digital.abc.net.au/

More:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_news_media_APIs

By the way, I happen to have an app called 1 Radio News -
http://1radionews.com - that uses podcast feeds from the CBC and
scores of other radio networks around the world. Try it.

I could imagine other creative opportunities to mix today's news to
reach many new people by tapping apis.

Steve

Steven Clift  -  Executive Director, E-Democracy.org
   [hidden email]  -  +1 612 234 7072
   @democracy  -  http://linkedin.com/in/netclift
   http://1radionews.com - My radio app

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 11:39 PM, Tina Faiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Glen,
>
> It's an interesting question! Curious, what would you want to do with it?
>
> I am a former CBC digital producer, and know if the request was put in at
> the right level, it could be made a priority. That said, I have no doubt
> they face a capacity issue - not enough people to do all that is on the wish
> list,
>
> Best,
> Tina
>
> On 2016-06-04, at 12:42 AM, Glen Newton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know if the CBC offers an API to its content, like the NPR
> http://www.npr.org/api/index or BBC
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/developer/technology/apis.html or PBS
> http://docs.pbs.org/confluence/display/PUBDOC/Home/?
>
> I found their RSS feeds (ugh) and a reference to someone asking that the CBC
> have APIs from 2009 http://www.theteamakers.com/2009/08/07/cbc-api/
> but nothing else.
>
> If indeed the CBC does not have an API to its content (or even API to
> content metadata), etc, does anyone else see this as a bit of an issue?
>
> Glen

Re: [OTT-GOSLING] CBC API?

Glen Newton
I changed jobs so it was a little hectic the last few days...

In this space there are 2 levels of APIs: metadata and content. Metadata is fine but if you want people to truly build mashups of information from different sources you need content. The NPR example I gave is incredibly rich and extensive:
"The content that is available includes audio from most NPR programs dating back to 1995 as well as text, images and other web-only content from NPR and NPR member stations. This archive consists of over 250,000 stories that are grouped into more than 5,000 different aggregations."
Pretty amazing stuff!

Glen

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 8:53 AM, Michael Richardson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Glen Newton <[hidden email]> wrote:
    > If indeed the CBC does not have an API to its content (or even API to
    > content metadata), etc, does anyone else see this as a bit of an issue?

Here's my bet: there is an API to content, and they use it regularly in their
front end.  But, it's unpublished, and nobody in "marketing" knows anything
about it, and the developers would like to keep it that way for now.

I heard yesterday (on Spark, I guess) about efforts to transcribe speech.
That CBC was working with one company to transcribe their audio archives so
that they could be searched.  That screams for some APIs...

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [