About this wiki! people to Invite! politics!

About this wiki! people to Invite! politics!

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Hey gang!

What a novel idea! Using the listserve ;-)

*About the Wiki:*

Patrick said:
* Easy access to accurate, timely and appropriately formatted civic data means that citizens can reimagine [is that a word even?] how they understand and analyze the workings of the democracy they live in.

I like it. See if the redone bits below get close to what you are thinking?  Also, any ideas on how to easily explain how hard it is to actually find data? For example - the lack of portals, the lack of a dedicated data space on municipal or other sites, etc.  This is normally called data discovery, what about in yours? I tried below but this could still be tweaked.  I also think the first sentence could use a little a je ne sais quoi mais certainement un petit quelque chose de plus! Des idées?

This wiki aims to build a culture of finding, accessing and sharing free
civic data and to support data access policies since:

    *

      A democracy is founded on the principle of participation in the
      decision-making process.

    *

      Good decisions are based on the analysis of reliable, accurate and
      timely civic data.

    *

      Currently access to civic data is impeded by cost recovery
      policies, IP, poor or unsuitable formatting, poor discovery
      strategies, security and confidentiality.

          o Data holders are often overly cautious for the latter two
            issues.
          o Data are difficult to find as there are few civic data
            portals and discovery strategies along with a lack of
            metadata or useful tagging.
          o Data are often stored and/or organized in formats that
            impede their use in other contexts (e.g. locked PDF, not in
            tables)
          o IP is important however it restricts use, repurposing, the
            type of use and the length of use.
          o The high cost of data is a deterrent and makes them
            inaccessible to most.
    *

      Citizens have already paid for their civic data through taxation
      and should have the right to easily acquire and use them

            at no cost for non-commercial purposes.

    *

      Informed citizens and civil society groups can critically and
      creatively re - envision, imagine and plan for their communities.

    *

      This is what a democracy looks like!

*
People to Invite:
*I have been chatting with folks in the data lib, statcan, map library community, etc. and to date the feedback i am getting is get something good up and then send notices out on a bunch of listserves that support is being sought.  In one of the parts of the world i navigate in, people do not know the wiki culture nor how to build community this way so, it will take some time.  As the xmas season is approaching I expect to have to consume beverages with the people have i on my contact list and will hopefully get some stronger endorsements and some advice.  I know a bunch of retired directors who fully support these ideas and can now say what they want, and I am trying to get these folks involved.  What are your thoughts? How do your communities like to do things?
*
Politics:
*If a party or politician has a policy or platform on the issue then great, lets ensure it appears and gets supported if in an ethical context.  Furthermore that energy or platform can be leveraged to encourage other parties to develop some positions. We do however have to be cautious!  I personally do not want to be endorsed or endorse any parties.  I remember when the Reform party wanted to join a Free East Timor group I was a member of, we got really uncomfortable, as some of their other platforms were very much at odds with our philosophy while political support was welcome.  We eventually just ignored them.  Hmmm! Do we make whatever we come up with explicit or do we wait to see what happens when it occurs?

Re: About this wiki! people to Invite! politics!

Michael Lenczner
to respond to one of your points.  this is *not* about building the
ultimate wiki.  this is *much* more about getting interested parties
talking to each other on the mailing list.  the wiki is secondary.

we can't get focussed on the website.  i don't think we need to have
101 reasons for why free data is good, closed or poorly formatted data
is bad.  We shouldn't go for exhaustiveness.  Especially before we
invite people to participate.

We just need to have some good info about what we're inviting people
to try and work on with us - and then give them the reins.

that said - i really like the stuff that's been put up so far.  but
even as is I think it's too much.

mike